Donor Advised Funds
Are you looking for an easy, cost-effective way to support Horizons Foundation and other causes you love? A donor-advised fund, (DAF) which is like a charitable savings account, may be the right choice for you. And as the philanthropic institution of the Bay Area's LGBTQ community, Horizons operates a robust DAF program with over 90 funds and more than $13 million in assets.
Here's how it works. You transfer cash or other assets to establish a DAF with a meaningful name of your choosing. You can then recommend-but not direct-how much and how often money is granted to Horizons or other charities, either by notifying your dedicated philanthropic advisor, or by using our 24/7 web portal. And you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
What do you receive in return? An immediate federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account, and the power to make recommendations on which charities to support whenever you want. You centralize your giving and record-keeping in one location, and cut down on paper clutter in your life. You also have access to Horizons' 35 years of grantmaking experience to help you maximize the impact of your giving, and help reach your philanthropic goals through one-on-one work with a philanthropic advisor.
Donor Advised Funds in Action
Leslie Good and Laura Reedy want to give back to the Bay Area LGBTQ community by putting their money where it will do the most good. They establish a $25,000 donor advised fund at Horizons called The Good and Reedy Family LGBTQ Philanthropy Fund. The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support. After researching community needs with the foundation's staff, Leslie and Laura recommend grants for Horizons (which they've supported for years) and the Animal Rescue League. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Good & Reedy LGBTQ Philanthropy Fund. Leslie and Laura are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
There are many additional advantages to having a donor-advised fund at Horizons Foundation. Click Here For Complete Information.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- Contact Deb Stallings at 415.398.2333 x103 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss using donor advised funds to support Horizons and our mission.
- If you include Horizons in your plans, please use our legal name and Federal Tax ID.
Legal Name: Horizons Foundation
Address: 550 Montgomery Street, Suite 700 San Francisco, CA 94111
Federal Tax ID Number: 94-2686530